Gameboy has influenced many of our childhood memories with games like Pokemon. Now, it seems like the classic portable console is making its comeback thanks to a device for smartphones. Tech company, Hyperkin Lab, has developed something called the Smartboy, which turns smartphones into the Gameboy consoles of old.
This device allows users to play their old Gameboy cartridges in their own smartphones. It’s compatible with classic Gameboy cartridges, as well as ones for Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance. However, they do admit that they are still experimenting on using Gameboy Advance cartridges.
Hyperkin Lab’s official website now sells these devices for US$59.99… plus shipping of course.
- Open source serial app and firmware
- Compatible with GB,GBC and GBA* cartridges (GBA function is experimental)
- Classic handheld-style tactile button set
- Designed for Android smartphones
- Double-sided micro USB port
Specs for Devs:
- Atmel 90USB646
- NTSC/PAL cart compatible
- Phone Size: 5in-6in
- SmartBoy Serial App Access for Mounting and Controller mapping
- 4.4.4 Android KitKat OTG minimum OS requirement** (Note 4&5 compatibility may vary)