In 1995, a certain anime known as Neon Genesis Evangelion revolutionized the animation industry, not only in Japan, but also the world. To commemorate its 20th anniversary, Hideaki Anno’s groundbreaking psychological masterpiece will have its very first episode broadcast in eight locations in five major Japanese cities through “Street View.”
These eight locations will simultaneously air the first episode on 4 October 2015 at 6:30 p.m., Japan Standard Time (JST), which is the same time the original episode was aired 20 years ago! It will be shown in these following locations:
- Tokyo – Shinjuku Alta Vision.
- Tokyo – Shinjuku P’PARCO TV-Chan Vision.
- Tokyo – Ikebukuro Street Vision.
- Tokyo – Akihabara Street Vision.
- Osaka – Dōtonbori Tonbori Station S/N.
- Nagoya – Sakae Intervision
- Fukuoka – Fukuoka Street Vision.
- Hokkaido – Sapporo Megavision 4 Platform.
Several other locations, such as ones in Sendai and Hiroshima, are in talks to join the simultaneous “Street view Broadcast,” but as of now, the eight mentioned above are the ones which are confirmed. Up to 20 to 30 locations are expected to show the premiere episode at that time.
Niconico has also announced plans to stream the first episode on the same time, as part of the classic anime’s 20th anniversary celebrations. Looks like all that’s left now is for Shinji to… errr… get in the damn robot!