Late last week, when Konami announced that they were pulling PT from the Playstation Store during the next update, whispers of Silent Hills being shelved soon began resonating on the internet. PT, announced at Gamescom last year was billed as “the world’s first interactive teaser”. The free PS4 title was soon released, and players discovered that PT was in fact a teaser for a new Silent Hill game, being developed by Kojima Productions. The teaser also revealed that critically acclaimed horror director, Guillermo del Toro and Norman Reedus, The Walking Dead actor, were also working on the project.
After the reveal, Kojima spoke about his aims for the project, saying he wanted it to be a game that would make players “shit [their] pants”, even joking that they might include a pair of pants with the limited edition of the game.
Those whispers soon grew louder when del Toro, who was co-directing Silent Hills with Hideo Kojima, told attendees at a film festival in San Francisco on Sunday that Silent Hills is “not gonna happen and that breaks my greasy heart”
— TV's Matt Hackney (@tvsmatthackney) April 26, 2015
Del Toro’s assistant retweeted Matt Hackney’s tweet and added some other comments indicating that the project was not to be.
Further confirmation was attained when Reedus, the actor playing the protagonist in Silent Hills, said the same thing on his twitter account.
Super bummed about this was really looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll come back around. Sorry everyone 🍕 http://t.co/drZJ8tBsSN
— norman reedus (@wwwbigbaldhead) April 26, 2015
As with every game, the publisher would have the final say on the official status of the project, and in a statement released by Konami, they said that:
Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic ‘Silent Hills’ project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued.
In terms of Kojima and Del Toro being involved, discussions on future Silent Hill projects are currently underway, and please stay tuned for further announcements.
Another statement released by Konami stated that the reason PT was being pulled was due to its distribution period expiring.
On top of all of that bad news, last night Konami voluntarily delisted itself from the New York Stock Exchange, however, it will continue to trade in both the London and Tokyo Stock Exchanges.
While I was truly looking forward to Silent Hills, I fear that it was just the latest casualty of the fallout between Konami and Kojima Productions, after Konami had removed Kojima’s name and Kojima Productions’ logo from Metal Gear Solid’s marketing materials, and social network platforms led to reports that Kojima was leaving the company.